One of the questions I get asked a lot is if I get to talk with Bill Spence Twister’s Relationship Expert, about my personal questions off the air! Or I will hear, “What do you think Bill would say about my situation?” Truthfully, what he shares, on the Joe Friday & Yeager show each Thursday at 7am, truthfully is most often what is my go to, when confronted with ANY kind of relationship matter! On a recent show, he suggested to one listener some basic “pointers” to consider right in the middle of a storm! Since then we’ve had a huge request for us to share those again, so we can have them to prepare for future storms!
I would never hope any of us have to deal with a relationship issue ever again, but if you ever do find yourself in a heated situation, here are some points that if applied genuinely, will actually changed the dynamics of your communication, the way the other person is viewing you and even how your feelings change for the better as well! You’ll see…
1. Try not to make each other someone that he/she is not. (Hard not to let your assumptions fly w/this one, huh? )
2. Respect when speaking to each other (good in any situation I would imagine)
3. Find a way to have fun together (Busy parents have to work to make this happen! Put it on the calendar if you have to… Don’t forget this is your friend.)
4. Spend more time listening than talking (This one dang near kills me!)
5. Seek to understand versus to influence (I tend to forget this one too.. I am not gonna lie, I think I’ve even said “Don’t you know by now, I am usually always right, so why are you even bothering argue about this?!” Yeah.. I went there!)
6. Affection, use it often towards each other (I’ve ALWAYS heard how just a simple, genuine & tender touch in a stressful moment can WASH away tension, build trust and even affect how you are feeling. This is a toughy, but if you can just force yourself to bring down the wall, right in the middle of a tough conversation, YOU WILL most likely SEE IMMEDIATE RESULTS! Trust Me On This! I will be anxiously waiting by my computer to hear how this works for you!